Being a victim of parental abduction

Being a victim of parental abduction

There is no more effective measure than your parental consensus to effectively counteract parental abduction. We are also here to help you do this!

To assist you, the 116 000 hotline team has been officially mandated to offer free professional support.

Our network consists of professional mediators, family law lawyers and family law NGOs in over 60 countries.

We consolidate the work of assisting in the location of your child by carrying out location work alongside the authorities and for other NGOs such as ISS in Geneva and Zurich.

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is the ethical and legal basis for the emergency action of the Swiss 116 000 team.

In which situations can I contact 116 000?

Whether you are a child, a parent, a social worker, a lawyer or an official authority, you can reach us on the free emergency number 116 000 or via the e-mail address

[email protected] if you are faced with one of the following situations:

  • I am afraid that the other parent will take our child abroad.
  • I am worried that my child will not come back from a holiday abroad with the other parent.
  • My child has been taken abroad by the other parent without my consent, even though I have parental authority.
  • Can I move abroad with my child?
  • Can I travel abroad with my child without the consent of the other parent?
  • I am told that I have kidnapped my child abroad.
  • I 'm looking for advice on how to avoid parental abduction.
  • My child has been abducted to Switzerland without my consent.

If your situation is not listed above, but you are still wondering whether the 116 000 team can help you, we invite you to contact us. The counsellors of the emergency unit will help you clarify your question and, if necessary, refer you to the appropriate service.

Definition & Methodology

Definition & Methodology

International parental abduction occurs when a parent decides to move to another country and take their child/children with them without the consent of the other parent or a judge.
National parental abduction occurs when a parent decides to move to another canton without the consent of the other parent or a judge.

Our working method is based on an approach that focuses on the best interests of the child. Mediation plays a central role in resolving post-separation difficulties. Together with you, we look for solutions to restore a calmer family climate, for the good of the children, both before and during a parental abduction.